ISOLATION and LOCKOUT or LOCKOUT TAGOUT (LOTO Training)
Isolation training is one of the safety cornerstones of any organisation; the ability for operators and maintenance people to be able to access and work on equipment and machinery without being harmed is paramount.
There must be an understanding of what the energy sources are on equipment, including what stored energy is, and how to control or remove it. This energy that has not only got to be isolated but there must be effective methods to ensure that it is not inadvertently restored.
ACT Safety Ltd. have experienced isolation consultants who have worked in high risk industries, underground mining, quarrying and steel making who have developed isolation systems, procedure and delivered isolation training.
We have also developed full isolation systems for other smaller organisations and industries.
ACT Safety Ltd offer a full isolation training or service of assisting companies in turn-key operation, to instigate effective but simple isolation systems. This isolation training includes procedure development, plant modification, isolation point labelling to enable effective isolations that will create a safer working environment.
Under the new Health and Safety Reform Bill about to be introduced there are clear responsibilities under the duty of care for Person Conducting a business or Enterprise (PCBE) to provide safe systems of work and to train and instruct all workers; this includes contractors and visitors. It will no longer be acceptable to assume that a contract electrician understands your organisations isolation systems.
Isolation Training / Lock out tag out unit standard:
Unit 2401 (8 hours) Safely shutdown and Isolate machines and equipment
NB Additional evidence is gathered using an ACT Safety developed competency test from the client organisational procedures.
Learning Objectives of Isolation Training (Company Procedure Specific)
- Legislation, company and individuals under the ACT
- The purpose of isolations
- The types of energy sources including stored energy
- Responsibilities of Lockholder, Authorised Persons and Isolation Leaders
- Classroom Isolation Training Board Demonstration
- The Individual Isolation Procedure
- The Group Isolation Procedure
- The Authorised Removal of a Personal Padlock
- Isolation Breaches
- Isolation Summary
- Practical workplace isolation assessment (manage the isolation process, shutdown, isolate, verify, reinstate) on two systems.
Key leaning outcome of isolation training (Unit 2401)
- Prepare for shut down, isolation, and start up of machines and equipment
- Shut down and isolate machines and equipment.
- Start up machines and equipment following shut down and isolation.
Our Isolation courses are team orientated working in groups and pairs to enhance the learning process.